Home       About Me       Review Archive

Tuesday, January 19, 2016

Waiting On Wednesday: Penguin Winter 2016 Catalog

Waiting On Wednesday is a weekly meme hosted by Jill of Breaking The Spine in which upcoming, eagerly anticipated releases are highlighted on the blog.

This week, I've chosen to feature a few picks from the Penguin Winter 2016 Catalog:

The Dark Days Club by Alison Goodman
Date: January 26, 2016
Add to Goodreads

London, April 1812. On the eve of eighteen-year-old Lady Helen Wrexhall’s presentation to the queen, one of her family’s housemaids disappears-and Helen is drawn into the shadows of Regency London. There, she meets Lord Carlston, one of the few who can stop the perpetrators: a cabal of demons infiltrating every level of society. Dare she ask for his help, when his reputation is almost as black as his lingering eyes? And will her intelligence and headstrong curiosity wind up leading them into a death trap?

I've never read Alison Goodman's Eon duology, but I've heard nothing but great things. So you bet I'm excited to read her upcoming Regency Era novel, The Dark Days Club, about a stylish Lady who is also a demon-hunter!


Rebel of the Sands by Alwyn Hamilton
Date: March 8, 2016
Add to Goodreads

She’s more gunpowder than girl—and the fate of the desert lies in her hands.
Mortals rule the desert nation of Miraji, but mystical beasts still roam the wild and barren wastes, and rumor has it that somewhere, djinni still practice their magic. But there's nothing mystical or magical about Dustwalk, the dead-end town that Amani can't wait to escape from.
Destined to wind up "wed or dead," Amani’s counting on her sharpshooting skills to get her out of Dustwalk. When she meets Jin, a mysterious and devastatingly handsome foreigner, in a shooting contest, she figures he’s the perfect escape route. But in all her years spent dreaming of leaving home, she never imagined she'd gallop away on a mythical horse, fleeing the murderous Sultan's army, with a fugitive who's wanted for treason. And she'd never have predicted she'd fall in love with him...or that he'd help her unlock the powerful truth of who she really is.

Admittedly, I wanted to read Rebel of the Sands as soon as I saw that drop-dead-gorgeous cover, but I recently got around to actually reading the synopsis and that sounds mighty good too. Who could resist a sharpshooter heroine and a desert setting with mystical beasts?!


The Charmed Children of Rookskill Castle by Janet Fox
Date: March 15, 2016
Add to Goodreads


Something is not right at Rookskill Castle, a rundown Scottish manor shrouded in mystery. The castle is a temporary boarding school for children escaping the Blitz, but soon it’s clear there is something terribly wrong. There are clues hinting that a spy is in the house, and there are undeniable signs of a sinister magic. When the children in the castle’s temporary boarding school begin disappearing one by one, it’s a race against the clock for twelve-year-old Kat Bateson, her two younger siblings, and their new best friend.

Hogwarts will always be the ultimate magical Scottish boarding school, but that doesn't mean there's no room for another one in fiction. I am very curious to read about the magical Scottish boarding school in The Charmed Children of Rookskill Castle!


How about you? Are you waiting on any of these Penguin Winter 2016 reads? Are there any upcoming books from the Penguin Winter 2016 Catalog that I didn't include here that you feel I should add to my list?

27 comments :

  1. All these books sounds really good!! Great picks!

    http://lovesbooksreview.blogspot.com/2016/01/waiting-on-wednesday-star-touched-queen.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excited for all three of these, too! I've already read Rebel and it's just incredible! :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am also waiting on The Dark Days Club! Well, we won't have to wait for too long - that's a good thing! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great picks! I've already read Rebel Of The Sands (amazing!) but I'm first on the list at my library to borrow Dark Days Club and can't wait to get it. Great picks!

    My WoW!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aah the second person to mention how amazing Rebel of the Sands is! Cool :)

      Delete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great picks! I love the cover of ...Rookskill Castle. Spooky!

    Check out my WOW

    ReplyDelete
  7. Holy amazing books Batman! O.O The Dark Days Club is already on my tbr - and so is Eon which I MUST read soon! I've seen Rebel of the Sands around and the cover caught my eye but this is the first time I'm reading the blurb! I LOVE desert settings!! ♥ Add a gunslinging girl and magical creatures and I am SO there. And The Charmed Children of Rookskill Castle? Oh man...that sounds like perfection. GIMME.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heehee! I am so there for each of these as well - and I hope they all end up with great reviews that make me want to read them all the more!

      Delete
  8. All the three sounds good. I especially loved the blurb of Rebel of the Sands.
    read that also

    ReplyDelete
  9. I definitely want to read Goodman's book as I've read several positive reviews for it. I'm going to hold off for Rebels in the Sand until I read some reviews. I'm just weary of reading a book with a gorgeous cover nowadays. Been burned too many times.

    ReplyDelete
  10. All three of these sound really good! I hope you enjoy them! I'm looking forward to The Dark Days Club too! Here's my WoW. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Rebel of the Sands is already in my tbr, And The Dark Days Club seems to be popular, hope you like them all!!
    http://thebestbasicblogger.blogspot.com/2016/01/wishlist-winning-wednesday-3-glass-theme.html

    ReplyDelete
  12. Rebels of the Sands is one of my most anticipated books! The cover is stunning too <3

    Amber ❤ The Book Bratz
    My WOW

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh, that last one!! Just added it to my TBR, it looks fantastic. Hadn't heard of that one, but I'm looking forward to the other two. Great picks!

    My WoW for the week!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I have Rebel of the Sands. I just started it but it's pretty good so far! The Goodman book looks good too. Happy reading.
    Waiting on Weds @Libby Blog

    ReplyDelete
  15. I think I'm most excited for Rebel of the Sands out of the three. The covers are all really pretty though.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I had not heard of The Charmed Children of Rookskill Castle by Janet Fox until now. I NEED THIS! It sounds so good. I'm really hoping it's as good as the summary, and what a fun summary it is!! :)

    -Lauren

    ReplyDelete
  17. When you get around to reading it I hope you love The Dark Days Club as much as I did! I'm kind of on the fence about getting Rebel of the Sands, not really sure why that is, though. I hadn't heard about the last book you mentioned, def going to be adding it to my tbr! :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Rebel of the Sands sounds amazing! I'm definitely adding that to my TBR list. All your picks sound super exciting.

    Here's my Waiting on Wednesday post.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Yay :D Awesome picks this week Aylee. <3 I am dyyying for The Dark Days Club :) Just waiting for it to arrive. <3 And I liked Rebel very much :) I hope you will love all of these books when you get to read them sweetie. <3

    ReplyDelete
  20. I'm in love with the cover from Rebel of the sands. I also love the promise and I hope it lives up to my expectations. Boarding schools; the moment I read this I'm like SIGN ME UP.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I finished The Dark Days Club last week and really enjoyed it! It was a lot of fun. I can't wait for Rebel of the Sands either, it sounds amazing and the cover is gorgeous! Great picks :).

    ReplyDelete
  22. Lol, I wanted Rebel of the Sands because of its cover too. I've never read the Eon duology either but have heard good things about it, which is why I put The Dark Days Club on my wishlist. I've been seeing reviews for it recently, and they've all been positive so far.

    ReplyDelete