Home       About Me       Review Archive

Tuesday, August 20, 2013

Waiting On Wednesday: Hachette Fall 2013 Catalog

Waiting On Wednesday is a weekly meme hosted by Jill of Breaking The Spine in which upcoming, eagerly anticipated releases are highlighted on the blog.

This week, I've chosen to feature a few picks from the Hachette Fall 2013 Catalog:

Unbreakable by Kami Garcia
Date: October 1, 2013
Add to Goodreads

I never believed in ghosts. Until one tried to kill me.
When Kennedy Waters finds her mother dead, her world begins to unravel. She doesn’t know that paranormal forces in a much darker world are the ones pulling the strings. Not until identical twins Jared and Lukas Lockhart break into Kennedy’s room and destroy a dangerous spirit sent to kill her. The brothers reveal that her mother was part of an ancient secret society responsible for protecting the world from a vengeful demon — a society whose five members were all murdered on the same night.
Now Kennedy has to take her mother’s place in the Legion if she wants to uncover the truth and stay alive. Along with new Legion members Priest and Alara, the teens race to find the only weapon that might be able to destroy the demon — battling the deadly spirits he controls every step of the way.

Unbreakable is described as "Supernatural meets The Da Vinci Code" and that sounds like a really interesting combination to me. I am also eager to see how Kami Garcia does writing on her own after writing with her coauthor, Margaret Stohl, for so many years.


Reality Boy by A.S. King
Date: October 22, 2013
Add to Goodreads

Gerald Faust knows exactly when he started feeling angry: the day his mother invited a reality television crew into his five-year-old life. Twelve years later, he’s still haunted by his rage-filled youth—which the entire world got to watch from every imaginable angle—and his anger issues have resulted in violent outbursts, zero friends, and clueless adults dumping him in the special education room at school.
Nothing is ever going to change. No one cares that he’s tried to learn to control himself, and the girl he likes has no idea who he really is. Everyone’s just waiting for him to snap…and he’s starting to feel dangerously close to doing just that.
In this fearless portrayal of a boy on the edge, highly acclaimed Printz Honor author A.S. King explores the desperate reality of a former child “star” who finally breaks free of his anger by creating possibilities he never knew he deserved.

I have never read a book with a premise like Reality Boy, so that's a major draw. I am also well aware that A.S. King has a ton of fans who rave about her books and writing; someday I will have to see what all the fuss is about!


Curtsies & Conspiracies by Gail Carriger
Date: November 5, 2013
Add to Goodreads

Does one need four fully grown foxgloves for decorating a dinner table for six guests? Or is it six foxgloves to kill four fully grown guests?
Sophronia's first year at Mademoiselle Geraldine's Finishing Academy for Young Ladies of Quality has certainly been rousing! For one thing, finishing school is training her to be a spy (won't Mumsy be surprised?). Furthermore, Sophronia got mixed up in an intrigue over a stolen device and had a cheese pie thrown at her in a most horrid display of poor manners.
Now, as she sneaks around the dirigible school, eavesdropping on the teachers' quarters and making clandestine climbs to the ship's boiler room, she learns that there may be more to a school trip to London than is apparent at first. A conspiracy is afoot--one with dire implications for both supernaturals and humans. Sophronia must rely on her training to discover who is behind the dangerous plot-and survive the London Season with a full dance card.

I had so much fun with the first book in the Finishing School series, Etiquette & Espionage. Gail Carriger's humour and whimsical tone were just perfect and it was an absolute delight to read, so I'm very excited to read Curtsies & Conspiracies!


These Broken Stars by Amie Kaufman and Meagan Spooner
Date: December 10, 2013
Add to Goodreads

It's a night like any other on board the Icarus. Then, catastrophe strikes: the massive luxury spaceliner is yanked out of hyperspace and plummets into the nearest planet. Lilac LaRoux and Tarver Merendsen survive. And they seem to be alone.
Lilac is the daughter of the richest man in the universe. Tarver comes from nothing, a young war hero who learned long ago that girls like Lilac are more trouble than they’re worth. But with only each other to rely on, Lilac and Tarver must work together, making a tortuous journey across the eerie, deserted terrain to seek help.
Then, against all odds, Lilac and Tarver find a strange blessing in the tragedy that has thrown them into each other’s arms. Without the hope of a future together in their own world, they begin to wonder—would they be better off staying here forever?
Everything changes when they uncover the truth behind the chilling whispers that haunt their every step. Lilac and Tarver may find a way off this planet. But they won’t be the same people who landed on it.

DAT COVER. But also, sci fi - YAY! I'm happy that it seems as though sci fi is becoming more and more accessible to a majority of readers who used to think it was uninteresting and complicated. I really hope These Broken Stars lives up to my high expectations!


How about you? Are you waiting on any of these Hachette Fall 2013 reads? Are there any upcoming books from the Hachette Fall 2013 Catalog that I didn't include here that you feel I should add to my list?

34 comments :

  1. EEP EEP EEP. I'm *so* excited for these books! Hachette always seem to have awesome books to look forward to. Unbreakable's concept sounds off the charts, and I have yet to read a book by A.S. King! I still need to read Etiquette & Espionage, but THOSE COVERS. <3 AND OH MY GOODNESS. These Broken Stars is the one I'm most excited for. Fabulous post, Aylee! I hope you get to read some of these soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those covers are just plain amazing. I've heard good things about These Broken Stars, so I would love to read that one and Unbreakable.

    My WoW: http://readingismytreasure.blogspot.com/2013/08/waiting-on-wednesday-damselfly-by.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVE the cover for These Broken Stars. These all sound like really good books, I'll have to check them out:)

    Here's my WoW

    ReplyDelete
  4. All of these look amazing! I'm also curious about Kami Garcia writing on her own---I read a lot of mixed reviews of Icons by Margaret Stohl, so I wonder!

    ReplyDelete
  5. These Broken Stars has such a gorgeous cover, I've been eyeing it on Goodreads for a while!

    Reality Boy sounds really interesting. I read a lot of fantasy so sometimes it's nice to read something in a different genre.

    Here's our WoW!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love,love,love the cover of Unbreakable but it feels wasted on a book that is more paranormal romance than Horror. These Broken Stars is one I can't wait to start it sounds like it will be good. I've never heard of Reality Boy but it sounds unique. Good mix of choices this week.

    Here's my Waiting On Wednesday

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm super excited for These Broken Stars. And I'm looking forward to the AS King book.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good stuff!

    These Broken Stars could be art it's so pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have Reality Boy and These Broken stars both in my NetGalley queue. They just stare at me accusingly asking, "Why haven't you read me yet?!" Then they cry.

    This is a great WoW post btw. Thanks for sharing!

    ~Mandi Kaye | My WoW

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great selections! I can't wait to read These Broken Stars! I am intrigued with Unbreakable.

    My Friends Are Fiction's Waiting on Wednesday

    ReplyDelete
  11. Reality Boy sounds fantastic. I tried to get an advanced copy but had no luck.


    WoW Book

    ReplyDelete
  12. unbreakable looks good. hope you get to read it soon.

    ReplyDelete
  13. All of these sound amazing!I have an ARC for These Broken Stars, and I can't wait to start it. Great WoW!

    Stop by my WoW

    ReplyDelete
  14. Super excited for Reality Boy! I love the unusual cover. These Broken Stars has been getting a lot of hype, too, I hope it doesn't disappoint!

    Also, awesome new design! :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. All of these sound really good. I can't wait to read These Broken Stars. Unbreakable sounds really interesting and I am definitely going to be checking it out :) Thanks for sharing.

    My WOW: http://www.bookythoughtsandme.com/waiting-on-wednesday-better-spirits/

    ReplyDelete
  16. I am so excited for Curtsies & Conspiracies! And These Broken Stars! Great picks Aylee!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Reality Boy sounds great! I haven't read a book by A.S. King yet either, though I believe I own her first one. I really need to find more time for books I bought awhile ago. LOL

    -Lauren

    ReplyDelete
  18. I'm definitely super excited to read These Broken Stars. I feel like I've been drooling over that cover for months already. Unbreakable sounds interesting, but I could never get into the Caster series. Great picks!
    Natflix&Books' WoW

    ReplyDelete
  19. i'm super excited about these broken stars too!! i love the concept and i keep hearing it described as like "the Titanic [movie] in space." how awesome is that?!

    hope you can stop by my WoW.

    -michelle @ Michelle & Leslie's Book Picks

    ReplyDelete
  20. I featured Unbreakable a few weeks back! Looks so good, and of course These Broken Stars.

    Here's mine

    Kirsty @ StudioReads

    ReplyDelete
  21. What great picks! I'm really excited for Unbreakable. It sounds really fantastic. I'm also super excited for These Broken Stars! It sounds so unique. :) Thanks so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I'm glad there's been more teen science fiction lately. I was getting a little tired of the endless paranormals. SciFi is fun, too, so I'm glad too see it.

    I love that you do these whole publisher lists for your WoW's--much better to have multiple titles!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Love Gail Carriger... I have yet to try her YA series though! Also, adore that cover of These Broken Stars... what a gown. Great picks!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Yes! Curtsies and Conspiracies! I can't wait until I can read this one. :)

    And you changed your header! Looks gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Great picks, Aylee!!! :D I'm definitely excited for these, too, especially These Broken Stars! :D

    Also...as I just tweeted, I LOVE the new design! It's gorgeous and it's definitely you. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  26. Curtsies & Conspiracies by Gail Carriger! I read the first one and I adored it, so I can't wait for the next one!

    And while I have These Broken Stars, I haven't started reading it yet. It looks like it will be amazing, but I'm so scared that it won't be as good as I expect. (Even though other reviewers seem to love it.)

    ReplyDelete
  27. I am intrigued by Unbreakable, I have to admit. I have an ARC of Reality Boy and I'm really looking forward to reading it!

    Kate @ Ex Libris

    ReplyDelete
  28. Fantastic picks ^^ I was lucky enough to get both These Broken Stars & Curtsies & Conspiracies at BEA this year and I can't wait to get to both of them...though I will need to get my hands on E&E first >.< Hopefully this everlasting book-buying ban of mine will come to an end soon! Unbreakable sounds like it really could be brilliant, I can't wait to read some reviews on it! And you're right, Reality Boy certainly sounds unique, not sure if it's my kind of read but thanks for putting it on my radar :)

    ReplyDelete
  29. I was also super excited for Unbreakable and Kami Garcia's first solo work, but I don't think I was in the right mood to read it at the time? I thought the horror aspects seemed quite cool though, so hopefully you'll enjoy them.

    I'm with you on A.S. King - I've heard nothing but good things about her work, and she's got SO SO SO many fans. Here's to hoping that when we both finally get around to reading her work, we love it!

    Gail Carriger!!! I haven't read Etiquette & Espionage yet only 'cause I own the first of her adult series. I'm sure her humor and the whimsical tone would make for a great read and one that I'd particularly enjoy but... so many books. o.O. I hope you enjoy C&C though.

    As for These Broken Stars, the catalog on Edelweiss said that it was girl-friendly sci-fi and the people who've already read it have told me that it's not THAT much sci-fi? I'm still with you though. Still very excited to read that book.

    ReplyDelete
  30. I have super high expectations for These Broken Stars! I've already been hearing some great things, and THAT COVER. It's hard not to be excited. :D I'm not sure if Unbreakable will work for me (as I haven't really been a huge fan of the author in the past), but the premise is brilliant. Maybe Kami Garcia will be able to impress on her own. And I totally agree about Reality Boy. I haven't read anything by King before, but I'm really looking forward to trying this title. Great picks, Aylee! :)

    ReplyDelete
  31. Also, I forgot to say, I love the new look around here! :)

    ReplyDelete
  32. Eeep! So excited for all these, especially Unbroken and These Broken Stars! I've heard fantastic things about the latter, and like Sam said, the cover is GORGEOUS. Great picks!

    ReplyDelete
  33. I'm most excited about These Broken Stars from this list. Not gonna lie, a huge part of that is because of the cover :)

    ReplyDelete
  34. I'm loving this trend towards more sci-fi too! Reality Boy does sound really interesting. I like the edgy cover too. Love all these picks! You always pick the best ones :)

    ReplyDelete